Today marks exactly 15 years since the police showed up at my door to give 15-year-old me a ticket for "Failure to Yield for Pedestrian in Crosswalk."
I was driving down Main Street with my Mom - getting my driving hours in so I could get my Driver's License. All of the sudden, I gazed a man's big toe. Maybe not even that. I think he just felt the wind of my vehicle on his face. Whatever the case, the groceries that he was carrying went flying. Cans of beans, boxes of cereal, fruits & veggies - they all went rolling down the street. And he fell to the ground. Mom told me to "go around the block and come back to check on him so we wouldn't cause a traffic jam."
When we came back, he was gone and the street was clean. An hour later, the cops showed up and gave me a hit & run ticket. All of the points on my Driver's License were gone before I even had it. I had to go to court. I started crying the minute the judge asked me to raise my right arm. And my entire family came to the precedings - parents, siblings, cousins, aunts, uncles, grandparents - everyone. The judge ended up giving me back half of my points and cutting my fine to $120.00. Beuford was at court that day. He was a nice old man. I felt bad and so did he. Can't believe it's been 15 years.
The end.

No comments:
Post a Comment